- Check / Set home folder I sometime see people use long username in home folder. I usually go with short and easy to remember username. Mine is sakko. To check, type open terminal and type pwd
If it's not what you like, find a way to change it now before continuing. It will be extremely difficult to change this after a few months.
- Install Xcode Command Line Tools (Mac-Only) Open terminal and type
install to continue
- Configure git config Open terminal and input these (replace your name and email)
git config --global user.name "John Doe"
git config --global user.email "firstname.lastname@example.org"
- Setup global .gitignores Mac has some annoying files that can be ignored by git. Let's add them.
Then add these:
# Files that might appear in the root of a volume
# Directories potentially created on remote AFP share
Network Trash Folder
After you are done, activate this globally by running:
git config --global core.excludesfile ~/.gitignore
- install oh my zsh Fully explained here https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh For quick installation, just run:
sh -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/master/tools/install.sh)"
then restart terminal.
- Install NVM For nodejs development, open https://github.com/nvm-sh/nvm copy the installation line (eg.)
curl -o- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nvm-sh/nvm/v0.35.1/install.sh | bash
Open ~/.zshrc and see if these lines are present. (if not, add it)
[ -s "$NVM_DIR/nvm.sh" ] && \. "$NVM_DIR/nvm.sh" # This loads nvm
[ -s "$NVM_DIR/bash_completion" ] && \. "$NVM_DIR/bash_completion" # This loads nvm bash_completion
Restart terminal then install nodejs (only the version you use)
nvm install 14.19.0 # double check repo to see what version we are using
nvm install node # this will install latest
nvm alias default 14.19.0
nvm use default
- Install build-essential
sudo apt-get install build-essential
- Install Typescript We are planning on leveraging Typescript.
npm install -g typescript
- We use yarn over npm, so install yarn if you don't have it
npm install --global yarn
If you already have yarn installed, the latest versoin as of April 2022 we are using is yarn berry. To switch to that version, do:
yarn policies set-version berry
- Setup up optional swag: