Performance Review and Appraisal Policy
The purpose of this policy is to outline the process for conducting performance reviews and appraisals that are not based on an annual timeline (ie. 1 year), but instead on when employees have achieved a significant increase in performance and are now at the next tier.
This policy applies to all employees of the company.
Performance reviews and appraisals will be conducted when an employee has demonstrated a significant increase in performance and has reached the next tier of their position. This can occur at any time and will not necessarily happen at a milestone such as one year from the previous pay raise.
Employees will be evaluated based on their job duties, responsibilities, and goals that have been set in collaboration with their manager.
Evaluations will be based on objective criteria and metrics, including but not limited to:
- Code quality: Evaluating the quality of the code produced, such as readability, maintainability, and adherence to coding standards.
- Timeliness: The ability to meet project deadlines and deliver work on time.
- Self-starter: The ability to take on features/epics on your own, with little guidance.
- Productivity: The quantity of work completed within given time periods, such as lines of code written or features implemented.
- Customer satisfaction: Measuring how satisfied customers are with the software developed.
- Collaboration: The ability to work well with others in a team environment, such as contributing to code reviews and sharing knowledge.
- Innovation: The ability to develop new ideas, suggest improvements and find creative solutions to problems.
- Professional development: The willingness and ability to improve their skills and knowledge, such as through training or attending conferences.
- Quality of support: For those that are responsible for support duties, the responsiveness of customer support tickets along with the quality of those responses.
- Tests: For developers, code coverage of units tests along with the quality of tests. For test-engineers, this is measure on thoroughness of test cases and negatively impacted by bugs missed from tests.
Employees who demonstrate exceptional performance and reach the next tier of their position will be rewarded with a salary increase, promotion, or other forms of recognition based on their contributions to the company.
Managers will provide regular feedback to employees on their performance and progress toward their goals, including strengths and areas for improvement.
Employees will have the opportunity to provide feedback to their managers during the performance review process. This feedback will be considered in the evaluation process.
The company will provide training and resources to support employees in achieving their goals and reaching the next tier of their position.
The performance review and appraisal process will be fair, transparent, and consistent across all employees.
By conducting performance reviews and appraisals based on an employee's achievement of the next tier of their position, the company can ensure that employees are recognized and rewarded for their performance and contributions to the organization. This policy promotes a culture of continuous improvement and encourages employees to strive for excellence in their work.